Saturday, November 1, 2014

Some Scary Recommendations

'Tis the season for spookiness!  And even though I don't celebrate Halloween, I do appreciate a good scary book.

Here are 5 spooky recommendations for you!

Number 5

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice


This book isn't the scariest of the bunch, but it remains one of my favorite horror books.  The characters and story are so well-written and compelling.  This is one of the few books I've read several times.

Number 4

Strangers by Taichi Yamada


I cannot make a list of scary books without putting some Asian horror on it.  Some of the scariest stories come out of Asia, which is evidenced by how many of their horror films America remakes.

Strangers is a classic Japanese ghost story about a man who thinks he meets his long-dead parents one night in Tokyo and ends up at risk of losing his life.

Number 3


Coraline by Neil Gaiman


I know that this is supposed to be a children's book, but I would never read it to my kids because it would scare the crap out of them.  It creeped me out!

Coraline is a little girl who wanders into an alternate world where her "other" parents are waiting for her.  But will she ever be able to get out?

Number 2


Ring by Koji Suzuki


This is the book that the popular horror film is based off of.  It's so creepy!

Koji Suzuki is a highly respected horror writer in Japan and is also the author of Dark Water.  He is actually regarded as the Japanese Stephen King, so if you are a fan of King, you should check out Suzuki.

Number 1


The Shining by Stephen King


Stephen King is one of my favorite authors, and I find several of his books scary, but it is pretty difficult to beat a possessed hotel.  Plus, this is just a classic and is something that anyone who loves horror should read.


So those are a few of my favorite scary books.  What books do you recommend?  Leave them in the comments below!

Happy reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment