Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Top 5 Wednesday: Historical Books

Time for another top 5 Wednesday. If you are interested in joining in, please check out the Goodreads group.

This week's topic is favorite historical books. 

Because it makes it into every list and I want to highlight different favorites of mine, I am excluding Pride and Prejudice. It goes without saying that I love it.

With that, let's get started.

Number Five


Guernica by Dave Boling

I have heard very little about this book, but I originally picked it up because Benedict Cumberbatch did a review on it. (That is a perfectly legitimate reason to read a book, right?)

I'm glad that I did because I really enjoyed it. I knew nothing about the Spanish Civil War going into it, and it really moved me. I connected to the main characters and was really invested in their lives.

This book is heartbreaking but beautiful.

Number Four


The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Who doesn't love this book? Dorian is such a despicable character, but I still love him. And Wilde's writing is witty and hilarious.

Number Three


A Free Life by Ha Jin

One of my favorite book settings is in China during or after The Great Leap Forward. I am really interested in the lives of the people during this time.

This book explores this period and one family trying to escape from it really beautifully.

Number Two


The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

I fell in love with this book earlier this year, reading it twice in row.

Not everyone likes the style and organization, which I understand, but I felt like it added so much and was so creative.

Number One


The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

This book is not for everyone, but it is one of my absolute favorites. Wharton's writing is so subtle and clever. Her characters are full and likeable, even the stupid ones. And I love the setting of old New York.

What are your favorite historical books?  Tell me in the comments below.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment