Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Bout of Books 12 Challenge: Top 10 Recommendations

Today's challenge is hosted over at Trees of Reverie, and it's the Top 10 Recommendations challenge.

The idea is that I work at a library or book store, and I have to put together a list of my go-to recommendations for patrons or customers.

For fun I can go into a little more detail about why I chose it, how I would talk it up, or my honorable mentions that didn't quite make the top 10.

So, here are my top 10 go-to recommendations in no particular order.


The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

Most people my age will have read this already, but there is a whole new generation of kids growing up outside of the Harry Potter phenomena that may not know about it.  If parents came into the store looking for something to ignite their child's love for reading, this is definitely what I'd recommend.  Not only is it amazingly written, but the characters will grow up with the child just as they grew up with me.


Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

If someone came in and wanted to check out some science fiction but didn't know where to start, I'd point them to this favorite of mine.  It's an easy read that doesn't get too technical, but it's also a great story with an interesting protagonist.


The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

Anyone coming in and wanting to explore fantasy for the first time would get this recommended to them.  It's a classic that incorporates a lot of common elements of the fantasy genre, as well as giving an excellent plot and compelling characters.  


My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

I am not usually one for weepy chick books, but every now and then I get in a mood where I want a book that will make me cry a lot and a box of chocolate.  Lovers of this type of book would get this recommended to them.  Partly because I haven't read too many books that fit into this category but also because it's just a good story.


The Shining by Stephen King

If you're looking to break into the horror genre, this is the book I would recommend.  Obviously Stephen King is a dominant face for this genre, and this is one of his best.  I think someone would be able to tell if horror is for them after reading this pick.


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

This is kind of obvious, isn't it?  This is just a must-read.  People looking for a classic that isn't difficult to read with characters you can invest in would get this handed to them.  As long as they don't mind the romance.  If the person doesn't like romance...


The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

This classic is darker and wittier, and I would recommend this to those who like appalling characters and gritty tones.


Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Murakami is a must-read for anyone interested in Japanese literature.  This is my favorite out of all of the ones I've read so far.


Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

A lot of people will have already read this, but if a kid came in who was into comics and superheros or was interested in checking them out, I would give them Watchmen, one of the giants in the genre.  The art, characters, plot, and writing all come together to make it an excellent read and a loved classic.


The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer

Many young Christians are veering away from the weighty spiritual classics that generations before them benefited from.  So, if someone came in looking for a Christian book that would challenge them and help them grow, this is what I would name first.  Tozer's classic work goes through all of the attributes of God, breaking them down in a way that is clear but also convicting.  It's one of my favorite Christian reads, and I can't recommend it enough.

So, those are my top 10 recommendations!  Thank you to Trees of Reverie for this fantastic challenge!

What books would you recommend?  Share them in the comments below.

Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I love the diversity of your recommendations! I am kicking myself that I didn't include any Christian books in my list now.

    Lisa @ Just Another Rabid Reader

    ReplyDelete