Thursday, April 16, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Most Frustrating Characters

If you want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday fun, please check out the Goodreads group.  All the topics are listed there, as well as everyone who participates, so you can explore other lists like mine.

This week's topic is Most Frustrating Characters.  You know those characters that you just want to scream at because they never do what you want them to?  This list is made for them.

Here are mine:


Number Five


Lydia Bennet from Pride and Prejudice

This.  Chick.  Every time I read Pride and Prejudice or watch any adaptation, I am annoyed to no end by Lydia's immaturity, boy crazy attitude, and foolish decisions.  Not only that, but she's irritatingly arrogant about the horrible situation she gets herself into.  She's one character I believe deserves the unhappy ending I know she got.

Number Four


Jo March from Little Women

Don't get me wrong.  I love Jo as a character.  She's spunky and boyish and awkward.  Yet, her stubborn attitude and fixation on false ideals as a youth made me so angry with her.  I feel like she missed out on a lot because she didn't have an open mind and instead developed an idea of who she was that she was unwilling to let go.  But, I also feel like this because I wanted her to end up with Laurie, so I'm very bias.  

Number Three

 

Ron Weasley from The Harry Potter Series

This is another character whom I love and simultaneously want to punch.  While Ron is extremely loyal and brave, he's also emotionally immature, insecure, jealous, and rude.  His middle child syndrome is off the charts.  The other thing that bothers me about him is that he covets so much of what others possess but does little to earn them for himself.  

Number Two


Clary Fray from The Mortal Instruments Series

I still haven't quite finished this series, but I am (surprisingly) liking it so far.  Except Clary exacerbates me pretty much every other page.  She is so impulsive that I don't understand how she's still alive.  She foolishly disregards wise counsel.  She can be so brave that it's stupid, and she often puts others in danger.  However, what Jace says about her loving others so much that she's willing to do what others won't for them is very true; so, in that light, her foolishness is almost honourable.

Number One


Georgie from Landline

The thing that frustrated me the most about Georgie was how selfish she is.  Even with her marriage falling apart, even knowing how important her choices are to her family, she still decides to act selfishly.  As a married woman, I know that marriage requires sacrifice, and Georgie made me angry because she refused to make any.


Those are my top 5 (or 6) frustrating characters.  Which characters have you ripping out your hair?  Tell me in the comments below.

Chat me up on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. You are right on spot with Georgie. I read that book but didn't even think of mentioning her. I enjoyed Landline, but have found her other books to be so much better. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Landline is my least favorite Rowell novel.

      Delete
  2. I really like your list.
    I haven't read Landline or Little Women, so I can't speak to those, but I agree on the others, no doubt. Like, get it together Ron. Work for what you want, dude, stop whining.
    And Clary, how is she still alive? How does she not understand people being pragmatic? Good lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People really love Ron, but I just want to smack him. haha

      Delete