Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Top 5 Wednesdays: Books I'd Want to See as TV Shows

If you want to join Top 5 Wednesday, check out the Goodreads group.
This week's T5W topic is books you'd love to see as television shows.  This doesn't include books you'd like to see as movies.

Since I don't really watch television, this is a difficult topic for me, but when I envision them as mini-series, it becomes much easier.  

So, let's get into my list of books I'd love to see brought to life on the TV (or Netflix).


Number Five


The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

The first set of books to come to mind when I read this topic was The Mistborn Trilogy.  These books would be amazing on screen if done in the right way, with the right cast.  Because there are so many layers to each book (various characters, plots, and settings), a movie adaptation would severely reduce the storyline.  But being able to see the action scenes and Allomancy come to life would be so cool.  

Number Four


Every Day by David Levithan

This book wasn't amazing, but the concept was really interesting and would translate so well to a television show.  Each episode would have a different actor in the main role and would explore a totally different "day in the life."  Personally, I think this would be a fascinating show that wouldn't get boring.

Number Three


The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

I really enjoy sci-fi shows, and I think that one made after The Martian Chronicles would be so unique and interesting.  With the right people at the helm, the themes and social commentary could make it a weightier show than much of what is available now.

Number Two


The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King

This series would be absolutely amazing as a television series.  The story is so rich, and the characters are varied and deep.  Casting would be crucial, though.

Number One


Wild Swans by Jung Chang

I really enjoy Asian historical dramas, and I especially love when the past and present are explored simultaneously so viewers can see how the older generations shaped and differ from the younger ones.  Wild Swans is one of my favorite autobiographies about three generations of Chinese women, from Pre-Mao China, to China under Mao, to America.  Exploring the cultural differences, China's progression, and their relationships to each other would make this show interesting on so many levels.  Plus, television could use more female-centric, Asian-casted shows.

Those are the five shows I'd most like to see as television series.  What books made your list?  Tell me in the comments below.

I just reviewed the second volume of The New 52's Batman series, so check that out here.

Find me on Twitter, Goodreads, Instagram, and Bloglovin.

Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking of Every Day but I wasn't quite sure how great it would be as a show. Definitely movie, though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envision a show that very mostly follows the book and mostly just follows the basic premise. A movie would be truer to the book, I think.

      Delete
  2. I would definitely tune in for a King inspired series. I have never read that series but need to eventually as I have heard so many great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watch King shows because they're to scary for me. Haha.

      Delete